Melbourne, Victoria Climate & Temperature
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia is at 37°48'S, 144°58'E, 32 m (106 ft). See map.
- Melbourne, Victoria has a marine west coast climate that is mild with no dry season, warm summers. Heavy precipitation occurs during mild winters which are dominated by mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Melbourne, Victoria is situated in or near the warm temperate dry forest biome.
- The annual mean temperature is 15.5 degrees Celsius (59.8 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 10.65 °C (19.2°F). This indicates that the continentality type is hyperoceanic, subtype barely hyperoceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 14.4°C (57.9°F) on average falling to 7°C (44.7°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 19.6°C (67.2°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 10.3°C (50.6°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 25.3°C (77.6°F) and average low temperatures are 14.8°C (58.6°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 20.6°C (69.1°F) during the day and lows of 11.8°C (53.2°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 638.8 mm (25.1 inches) which is equivalent to 638.8 Litres/m² (15.67 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2079 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Melbourne, Victoria you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Santa Cruz, Flores, Azores where you would find a Humid subtropical climate.
Melbourne, Victoria Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Melbourne, Victoria Climate Graph in Metric Units
Melbourne, Victoria Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Nowra Ran, Australia - 590.9 kms (367.2 miles) ENE
- Wagga, Australia - 369 kms (229.3 miles) NE
- Canberra, Capital Territory, Australia - 468.9 kms (291.4 miles) NE
- Gabo Island, Australia - 436 kms (270.9 miles) E
- East Sale, Australia - 192.6 kms (119.7 miles) E
- Low Head, Australia - 392.6 kms (244 miles) SSE
- Launceston Wso, Australia - 457.8 kms (284.5 miles) SSE
- Hobart (Airport), Australia - 598.7 kms (372 miles) SSE
- Hobart, Tasmania, Australia - 599.3 kms (372.4 miles) SSE